[MPlayer-users] Strange Stream Problem... OK in Windows; Not In Linux

Mark B. industrialblue at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 29 07:51:16 CET 2007

Hello,

There are a few radio stations that I listen to online
that stream through (from my dealings with their tech
support... LAME!) a serice called webstream.net.

Apparently they use Windows codecs.  Fine.

I hevl multiple Linux boxes running different distros,
and all using mplayer.

They seem to put a brief 30 second commercial before
the actual radio station stream.  I can play the
commercial stream no problem, but when it's supposed
to jump to the actual live feed, mplayer just halts.

Windows boxes with Media Player (10 & 11) handle this
perfectly.  The live stream is heard.

Linux boxes with mplayer just stop after the
commercial.

Examples:

http://streamer3.webstream.net/WRPN?MSWMExt=.asf
http://64.234.192.63/WIKB?MSWMExt=.asf

Granted, unless you listen to these between 9AM-12PM
(CST) they may not be streaming, but why would Windows
Media Player make the jump between the brief
commercial and the actual stream just fine, but
Mplayer chokes going to the actual stream?

Thanks,
Mark