[MPlayer-users] Using mplayer to watch TV on linux

John Brown johnbrown105 at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 30 10:24:11 CET 2007

ying lcs <yinglcs <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to use mplayer to watch TV using tv card Hauppauge WinTV
> HVR 950 on ubuntu 7.10.
>
> I try this command " mplayer tv:// -tv driver=v4l2 "
> But all I get is a black and white static screen and there is no audio.
>
> Can you please tell me how can I use mplayer to watch tv?
>
> Thank you.
>
> $ mplayer tv:// -tv driver=v4l2

You need to set more options.

> Selected device: Hauppauge WinTV HVR 950
>  Capabilites:  video capture  tuner  audio  read/write  streaming

>  supported norms: 0 = PAL-BG; 1 = PAL-DK; 2 = PAL-I; 3 = NTSC; 4 =
> SECAM L; 5 = SECAM LC; 6 = SECAM K1; 7 = PAL-M;

Which of these is the standard used in your country? MPlayer probably
uses 0 as the default in all cases, so if your norm is not PAL-BG
you will have to set it.

>  inputs: 0 = Television; 1 = Composite1; 2 = S-Video;
>  Current input: 0

Here you are told that the current input is 0 (TV). If this is not true,
you won't see anything. In that case, you have to set input also.

> tv.c: norm_from_string(pal): Bogus norm parameter, setting default.

It seems that if norm is not specified, then MPlayer uses "pal",
which is not in the list of norms supported by your card. I don't
know how serious it would be if it selected the wrong PAL version.

Also, if you are using TV input, you need to set the channel.

Finally, audio is not captured by default. There is an option for that
(immediatemode=0 or something like that)

See the MPlayer manual for information on setting norm, input,
channel and maybe other options.