[MPlayer-users] Transparent subtitles problems

Rashkae rashkae at tigershaunt.com
Fri Oct 12 16:45:20 CEST 2007

Rob Quill wrote:
> On 12/10/2007, Rashkae <rashkae at tigershaunt.com> wrote:
>> Rob Quill wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have been trying to transcode my DVD rips of season 1 of Ghost in
>>> the Shell but when I try and play the vob file back before transcoding
>>> it the sibtitles are displayed but they are transparent. That is,
>>> there is the black outline, and some sort of black lines through the
>>> middle of all the letters. What I would really like is filled white
>>> characters, possibly with some black outline.
>> Sorry, I've never figured out how to get mplayer to give me a decent
>> palette for vobsubs..
>
> Do you use an alternative method e.g. extracting to something that
> isn't vobsubs and using those or something similar?

No. I tried once to do the whole transcode to image thing and run it
through an GNU OCR program... After about an hour, I figured it would be
easier to just type them all out by hand.

But if you have just a vob file with vob subtitles (either in the same
stream, or a separate file), Mplayer displays the subtitles in
semi-transparent hard to read text.  In the case of some videos, (like
the afore-mentioned GIS), the colors even get inversed and are even
*harder* to read.,, Presumably, you can create an ifo file and define
the palette you want to use,, but examples or instructions to do so do
not reveal themselves to me with a google search.