[MPlayer-users] How to grab two different frames at 1 and 2 seconds.

DaveG mplayer01 at dgmm.net
Sat Oct 27 18:02:39 CEST 2007

On Saturday 27 October 2007, PaulM wrote:
> I need to extract two or more different jpeg frames from a video file.
> I'm trying to run this:
>
> mplayer -frames 2 -vo jpeg -ss 00:00:01 -nosound  video.avi
> this:
> mplayer -frames 2 -vo jpeg -ss 00:00:02 -nosound  video.avi
> this:
> mplayer -frames 2 -vo jpeg -ss 00:00:03 -nosound  video.avi
> and this:
> mplayer -frames 2 -vo jpeg -ss 00:00:04 -nosound  video.avi
>
> I assume I should get 4 different frames at positions 1,2,3 and 4. But
> that's wrong. For some reason I got the same frames which are absolutely
> equal. I got a different frame starting from 5th second only. Why is it so?
> Why mplayer generates identical frames for the first 4 seconds?  How can I
> get different frames?

IIRC you can't do frame accurate stuff like that so it's grabbing the frames
from the nearest keyframe.

Someone will probably be along shortly with the correct answer but IIRC there
is something for high resolution seeking, something to do with EDL?

Yeah, just had a look at man mplayer and found -hr-edl-seek.  have a look at
it and see if it's what you need.

--
Dave