[MPlayer-users] h264/mp3 chipmunk audio

heathenx heathenx at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 01:59:06 CET 2007

Hello,

This is my first post to the mailing list...be gentle.

I make screencasts using recordmydesktop. The output is an OGG/Theora file. I take this file and
convert it to an h264/mp4 avi file with this script:

nice -n 0 mencoder screencast.ogg -ofps 26000/1001 -vf scale=800:600,harddup -sws 10 -af
resample=22050:0:2 -srate 22050 -oac mp3lame -lameopts
cbr:br=128:aq=4:vol=0.0:mode=1:highpassfreq=0:lowpassfreq=0 -ovc x264 -x264encopts
bitrate=1000:me=umh:me_range=18:nodct_decimate:nointerlaced:8x8dct:threads=auto:nofast_pskip:nobrdo:trellis=1:partitions=p8x8,b8x8,i8x8,i4x4:mixed_refs:bime:frameref=3:bframes=4:b_adapt:b_pyramid:weight_b:direct_pred=auto:subq=5:chroma_me:cabac:deblock
-o screencast_h264_mp3.avi

I then join this file to a 15 second introduction video that was encoded in the same manner with the
above script with this command:

mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy intro_h264_mp3.avi screencast_h264_mp3.avi -o final_h264_mp3.avi

So here's my problem. When I play this final avi file in opensuse 10.3 using a compiled version of
mplayer/mencoder from svn it plays perfectly. When I play this same file on ubuntu 7.10 with mplayer
from the repos the intro sounds great but the second part of the video, where my actual screencast
kicks in, the audio is chipmunked. If I play this same file in totem or vlc on ubuntu 7.10 the audio
sounds great all of the way through.

I have made every attempt to make both my 15 second intro and screencast in the same video and audio
format. I have had a lot of help from the author of h264enc. Without him I would be no where.
Unfortunately there is still much that I do not understand regarding mplayer and mencoder. Should I
stay away from mp3 audio? Perhaps go with aac instead? I smp3 audio even my problem? I want to use
the most accepted format so my content plays on windows, mac, and linux.

Thank-you,

heathenx
http://screencasters.heathenx.org