[MPlayer-users] Mplayer Build Testing

Phil Rhodes phil_rhodes at rocketmail.com
Wed Oct 31 18:11:41 CET 2007

>> Too many of the responses to people with problems is "compile it in
>> debug mode from version control head or we're not going to listen to
>> you".
>
> I'm sure nobody said anything like that last part you made up.

See, this is what gets blood boiling.

You know that sort of thing has been said.

I know that sort of thing has been said.

So does everyone else.

Fucking hell, the first time I heard something like that, MPLAYER ITSELF
told me. But because nobody has used those precise words, you reach for
pedantry in a transparent attempt to defend... well, something. The purity
of your list of experts, perhaps?

This is mplayer-users. Not developers. Users. It is entirely within the
power of the mplayer developer community to decide that mplayer is
development software not meant for general use and I would applaud the
decision to shut down this mailing list if that's the case - and add a big
banner to mplayerhq.hu saying "mplayer is an experimental software project
not suitable for day to day use." Please, do that. It's up to you. It's your
project, not mine. Do with it as you please but don't set out to deceive
people as to what your aims really are.

If you're not going to do that you need to become a lot more tolerant of
user questions on what professes to be a user list. Don't start with the
"we're all volunteers here" - it's a tired old whitewash and too often used
to excuse poor conduct. If you're a volunteer you're claiming an attempt to
be useful. If you're just here to jeer at less experienced people, that's
trolling and you don't deserve the credit due a volunteer. If you can't be
bothered, please take this as my invitation to bugger off and post on
developer.

Phil