[MPlayer-users] Mplayer Build Testing

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Wed Oct 31 18:16:54 CET 2007

On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 11:50:38AM -0500, Daniel Taylor wrote:
> Case in point. I'm a third party commenting on the tone of responses,
> yet "RC" feels the need to rip me a new orifice.

Probably a case of not re-checking who is who. As embarrassing as it is
I think it happens to everyone once in a while. I know I happen to make
that mistake every once in a while (though that probably is also due to
mutt making it quite hard to see who composed which message).

> My point stands.

And unfortunately you managed to confirm his point by top-posting.
If in doubt, everyone is wrong.
But I want to say one thing to those who want a more polite tone: you
will not get that by complaining about it. Because what you are asking
is that people more or less change themselves. That is very hard if not
impossible.
If you want things to change there are approaches that at least have a
chance, e.g. reply yourself in the tone you'd like others to use before
the "impolites" can. Or consistently reply to such "impolite" mails in a
way that corrects the impoliteness without offending anyone, something
like "... what he/she/it means is that ..."
The at best monthly and very general "we should be more polite" mail (for which
everyone will have an excuse why it wouldn't apply to themselves anyway,
some of those excuses coming up in the follow-up mails) will not change
anything.
Or in short: change rarely comes through anything except a hard personal
effort.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger