[MPlayer-users] windows build?

Henry Garcia defsyn at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 22:46:38 CET 2007

> The expand.c is a file in the "make.exe" sources.
>
> > Am I using the right make version?
>
> Try to get a newer version, that would hopefully fix it, though
> "normally" your version should work. No idea why it crashes for you.

Nope, the newer make bombs. The developers for make have never really fixed
this in the updated  versions for Windows Users. As a matter of fact, it
appears that progress for a Windows make has followed the second law of
thermodynamics. I would try Joerg Schilly's smake, but I can't get it to
build on MingW.

Make 3.80 is almost impossible to build from source on windows. The
3.80developer said, "If you don't like it, you can fix the code
yourself."  I
think he was frustrated with the Windows/OS as well.

However, Gnu Make 3.81 builds with Visual Studio. But the same problem
exists while building ioquake3 source code with MingW. If you use make >=
3.79.1, the make process bombs. Never tried making a debug build with 3.79.1