[MPlayer-users] How to control the buffer of Mplayer

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Mon Sep 3 14:32:35 CEST 2007

Hi!

jerry zhao <zhj.zhao <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
> I used the mplayer and live555 library  to stream video.

Are you sure? I only use them to receive streamed (audio and) video.

> I am not familiar
> with mplayer.
> Now the system works. The mplayer begins to play back the stream while it
> receives the first frame.
> My question is: How should I do in order to play back the video after 20
> frames are received?

Sorry, you can't play the stream if your network connection is too slow.
(And there is no way to set the buffer if you are using live555)

That said, there are a few workarounds:
You can pause the stream with "p" the moment it starts: live555 library will
continue to receive frames and they will be played back when you stop pause.
Unfortunately, if you pause for too long, frames will get lost in live555's
buffer.

You can play the stream once with -dumpvideo and once with -dumpaudio. The
resulting files may be muxed afterwards.

Carl Eugen