[MPlayer-users] SVN compiling problem - resolved!

John Brown johnbrown105 at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 3 22:24:35 CEST 2007

Alexander Bokovikov wrote:
>Hi, All,
>
><cut> Is it a normal situation (I'm about warnings large number)?

Yes. Apparently, keeping warnings to a minimum is not one of the developers'
goals. You log file would hav been much larger if it recorded all the
warnings, instead of just those generated during your final, successful
attempt.

>If you can, please check these logs, which I've got while making mplayer:
>http://home.bokovikov.com/mplayer/mplayer-logs.zip

You can generate your output in a more useful format with:
make > make.txt 2>&1
This will redirect stdout and stderr to the same file, so that you can see
the comand  followed by the warning or error message. That way you can be
sure which command caused the message.

>Especially it is interesting what are the lines in make-stderr.txt. There
>are some missing directories as well as a lot of warnings.

Something has gone wrong there. If you really want to find out what, you can
run 'bash -x make > make.txt 2>&1'.
-x  Print commands and their arguments as they are executed.
In particular, you will see the values of variables used on the command
line.

Assuming that the culprit is version.sh, it may be simpler to read it.

>Also I've noticed, that mencoder, built from SVN, has different parameters
>list than RC1 one. Are these changes reflected in the docs, available at
>the website? If yes, then I'll definitely need to redownload the docs!

The documentation is generated daily from svn. It is possible to build the
documentation with MinGW/MSYS, but a trick is necessary.

I do not have a proper procedure written down, but the following steps
should work. See DOCS/xml/README for details on where to download the files.
Later versions may work, but these are the ones that I am using now.

1) Download and install (configure --enable-static --disable-shared
--prefix=<your-usual-prefix>)
libxml2-2.6.27
libxslt-1.1.20

in that order, as libxslt depends on libxml2

2) Download docbook-xml-4.1.2. The trick is that, for some reason, xsltproc
will not work properly if the path to the docbook files is an absolute one,
e.g. /usr/share/sgml.... Instead, extract the ZIP file into DOCS/xml/usr,
then edit configure so that it will find docbook in DOCS/xml/usr. In the
configure script, whenever you see "Searching for ", add the path to the
file in question, but write a *relative* path, i.e., usr/share/sgml

3) Do as above with dockbook-xsl. I am not sure which version I used, but
the highest number I see here is 1.70.1

4) You *MUST* use make 3.80. Make-3.79.1 definitely does not work. There is
a problem with make-3.81, but I do not remember what. Run

    make help

to see all available build targets and make your choice.

><cut> Can you, guys, let me know what exact versions of packages, mentioned
>in the HOWTO, are correct for mplayer building?

Listing only the versions that are more recent than yours:
libvorbis-1.2.0
libtheora-1.0-alpha7
freetype-2.3.4

I also use:
amrnb-6.1.0.3
amrwb-7.0.0.0
fontconfig-2.4.2
facc-1.25
gettext-0.16.1
libcdio-0.77
lzo-2.0.2
speex-1.2beta1
twolame-0.3.8
zlib-1.2.3

I have a few other multimedia libraries which  may be needed for ffpeg or
something else, and not MPlayer.