[MPlayer-users] Encoding performances

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Tue Sep 4 09:51:48 CEST 2007

Hello,
On Mon, Sep 03, 2007 at 10:07:30PM -0700, RC wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Sep 2007 22:05:54 +0200
> Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de> wrote:
>
> > > 3. What's the best quality/speed/fps tradeoff to have a decent mpeg4
> > > playing  smoothly with mplayer on a Via C7 1Ghz with Unichrome Pro
> > > IGP graphics  adapter, openchrome drivers at 1024x768x32?
> >
> > I don't know how much this Unichrome model sucks, but on my old Athlon
> > 800 I always had enough CPU left during MPEG4 decoding (though
> > resolutions were only around 720x576,
>
> The problem isn't the crappy graphics, it's the crappy underpowered
> VIA CPU, which will perform more like a ~500MHz Athlon.

According to some benchmarks I looked up it was a factor 4-5 times slower than
a Sempron 3400+ (xvid encoding was the test).
I'd think this puts it around the same level as the Athlon 800...
And graphics performance is a big issue, because a bad card means you
need easily more than twice the CPU power to play it.
Either way, MPEG-2 and xvmc is always still a possibility...

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger