[MPlayer-users] Playing a raw PCM audio RTP stream

Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw at lug-owl.de
Thu Sep 6 22:02:19 CEST 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-04 10:52:52 +0200, Nico Sabbi <Nicola.Sabbi at poste.it> wrote:
> Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
>
> > On the pulseaudio mailing list, I was told[1] that this just used to work
> > out of the box (mplayer rtp://224.0.0.56:46778), because the stream
> > content is put into the type descriptor. However, mplayer tries to
> > detect the stream type by content these days:
> >
> > $ mplayer rtp://224.0.0.56:46778
> >
> > Any chance to force it to just use the type description, or to
> > manually force a specific interpretation?
>
> descriptors are in rtsp:// not in rtp://

Wording was wrong here. Pulseaudio implements RTP over multicast, as
well as SAP announcements.  The impression[1] on the pulseaudio mailing
list is that RTP's payload type field shouldn't be ignored. Indeed,
libavformat (Debian source package) seems to contain tables to decode
the payload type (which is 10 in this case) in
./libavformat/rtp.c:rtp_get_codec_info() .  However, this function is
only referenced in ./libavformat/rtsp.c:sdp_parse_line(), which is
used to read a SDP block dumped to a text file.  I just tried to
locate a good place to put another call to rtp_get_codec_info() to,
but it was somewhat hard following the initialization procedure in
such a large main() function...

MfG, JBG
[1] https://tango.0pointer.de/pipermail/pulseaudio-discuss/2007-September/000693.html

--
      Jan-Benedict Glaw      jbglaw at lug-owl.de              +49-172-7608481
  Signature of:                        Lauf nicht vor Deinem Glück davon: