[MPlayer-users] mplayer cannot play real video stream

Thomas Kempis kempis76 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 05:13:32 CEST 2007

Hi all,

I recently moved to Fedora 7 with my new 64bit machine. Unfortunately when I
tried to run mplayer with a real audio stream the program hangs. This is
what i got...

[root at cochise home]# mplayer
http://play.rbn.com/?url=ewtn/g2ewtn/live/ratv300sp.rm&proto=rtsp&rbnkey=1
[3] 3650
[4] 3651
[root at cochise home]# MPlayer 1.0rc1-4.1.2 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+ (Family: 15, Model: 107,
Stepping: 1)
3DNow supported but disabled
3DNowExt supported but disabled
Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 SSE SSE2
Can't open joystick device /dev/input/js0: No such file or directory
Can't init input joystick
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote
control.

Does anybody have any idea what is going on? I can play the same link in
RealPlayer... no problem there. Mplayer can also play local videos and
windows media streams. I am wondering if there is any problem with the 64bit
architecture. I installed also the player through the source code and the
freshrpm repositories and obtained basically the same result.

I really appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.