[MPlayer-users] MPlayer-users Digest, Vol 45, Issue 19

Alexander Bokovikov openworld at uralweb.ru
Sun Sep 9 07:46:21 CEST 2007

David Griffith wrote:

> I distinctly remember an earlier release of Mplayer being capable of
> playing SWF files.  Can you point us to some SWF converters?

Please do not mix SWF and FLV. The first is an animation format, and it has
no relation to MPlayer. The second is a streaming video/audio format, and
MPlayer can play it, whereas MEncoder can encode it. As for SWF to Video
converters, just open download.com - Flash tools, and you'll see some tools
like SWF2Video or Flash2Video or something like that. Or just try to search
in Google for "SWF2Video". There are a lot of such converters. All of them
snap SWF movie frame-by-frame and convert resulting bitmaps into MPEG. As a
result, 100 KB SWF is converted into 100 MB AVI :-)

Unfortunately, native Adobe player can't play FLV for some reason.
Nevertheless there are a lot of custom FLV players, which are SWF movies,
opening FLV stream, and playing it in a window. I also have my own (very
simple in GUI) FLV player in Windows EXE format, but it's working in MS
Windows only of course. FLV players in SWF format are platform-independent.

HTH!