[MPlayer-users] Wierd Behavior : multiple /dev/tty

Francis Lessard flessard at novacom.qc.ca
Tue Sep 11 02:59:22 CEST 2007

Hi !

I am building a looping video server on Ubuntu 7.04 server using the provided
apt mplayer package (since it is at 1.0rc1) My project has to ;

- output fullscreen TV out (overscan did not work yet)
- fully controllable remotely by ssh
- fully automated, being able to play for weeks in row.

I use "screen" as root to start mplayer with this exact command

mplayer -vo fbdev -double -vf
crop=640:480:40:0 -playlist /mymedia/mylist -loop 0

This project is working almost perfectly for hours (10+) then the sound goes
out ! mplayer complains about too many open files. Using lsof, i found out
that mplayer creates a new line like below, each times a video plays. After
many loops, i belive the system is getting saturated by those :

mplayer   4816   root   40w      CHR        5,0                4915 /dev/tty
mplayer   4816   root   41w      CHR        5,0                4915 /dev/tty
mplayer   4816   root   42w      CHR        5,0                4915 /dev/tty
mplayer   4816   root   43w      CHR        5,0                4915 /dev/tty
mplayer   4816   root   44w      CHR        5,0                4915 /dev/tty

Is there any way to fix this behavior ? I have tried to run mplayer out of
screen, still the same error.

Any advice ?

Thanks

Francis