[MPlayer-users] flash-in-quicktime

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Tue Sep 11 10:34:02 CEST 2007

Hello,
On Mon, Sep 10, 2007 at 09:38:57PM -0400, Austin wrote:
[...]
>  >   The mplayer developer that popped into the irc channel the other
>  > thought it'd be easier to have mplayer handoff the flash part of the
>  > .mov to Gnash using Xembed. Gnash is a flash player, not a video player.

Xembed is an unacceptable hack. If gnash can decode into a memory
buffer, frame by frame it is possible, but it will still be extremely
ugly since the flash data is _not_ in a video stream but in a "generic
track" one...

[...]
> Personally, doesn't it seem more logical to have mplayer handle the
> quicktime container, but call libgnash to decode and play the animation,
> than to have gnash learn to open quicktime files?  I mean, even for mime
> type simplicity?

There is no need to make it learn Quicktime files, it must only be
extended to handle files that have trash before the flash data - in the
simplest case that can be done by brute-force searching for the string
"FWS".

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger