[MPlayer-users] Movie plays on local laptop screen, but not on beamer

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sun Sep 16 16:13:19 CEST 2007

Hello,
On Sun, Sep 16, 2007 at 03:33:37PM +0100, Michael TD Nelson wrote:
[...]
> I have only heard the word 'beamer' used to mean a projector once
> before...
>
> I was on training at IBM in Germany. The German instructor and I had
> just been chatting about his (English) Massey Ferguson tractor engines,
> and my (German) Volkswagen cars, so when he mentioned his 'beamer', I
> thought he was talking about a German car...

Well, that is probably because "Beamer" is (one of) the German names for
projector. Also in the category of German invented names that sound like
English but are not: "Handy" for mobile phone.
And most English-speaking Germans are aware that those are not English
words, but they still can slip in without noticing because the sound so
English ;-).

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger