[MPlayer-users] Audio buffer overflow on raw audio file

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Wed Sep 19 19:12:15 CEST 2007

Hello,
On Wed, Sep 19, 2007 at 03:43:36PM +0100, Mark Himsley wrote:
> On 19 September 2007 10:29 +0200 Reimar Döffinger wrote:
[...]
> > MXFlib supports files that are far, far outside the specs, and many
> > tools that create MXF files are still based on very early drafts.
> > Some bugs of even the products from the bigger players were found with
> > the help of MPlayer's demuxer.
> > Please upload a sample to ftp://upload.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/incoming if
> > you want us to see if we can easily support it.
>
> LibDem10secClip.mxf (~35MB) has been uploaded.

As far as I can tell, this file clearly violates the specs:
SMPTE-377M, 8.5.7 says:
"
The SourceClips contain:
 - a SourcePackageID which identifies the package with which this SourceClip is associated.
[...]
The same mechanism shall be used to relate each SourceClip in a Material Package to a Source Package, and
each SourceClip in a Source Package to another Source Package.
"

The SourceClips in this package have set SourcePackageID to
93 F7 D9 5B 7B 3A 04 00 DA 77 2E E1 5C 48 30 00
But the only SourcePackage in this file has the ID
F1 02 DA 5B 7B 3A 04 00 1D F9 2E E1 5C 48 30 00

And indeed replacing all occurrences of the above by the below fixes
playback.
While a workaround as long as there is only one SourcePackage is
possible, it is an ugly hack (and very hard to get accepted into ffmpeg
where this demuxer is).
So please instead ask the vendor to fix their implementation to conform
to the specs, this will most likely benefit interoperability with other
products as well.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger