[MPlayer-users] encoding divx files - clarification

Daniel Harris mail.dharris at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 20 23:18:03 CEST 2007

On 9/20/07, Daniel Harris <mail.dharris at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 9/20/07, Nico Sabbi <Nicola.Sabbi at poste.it> wrote:
> >
> > Daniel Harris wrote:
> >
> > >Hello
> > >
> > >If I remove that option I get this
> > >
> > >videocodec: libavcodec (720x576 fourcc=3267706d [mpg2])
> > >[mpeg2video @ 0xb7640ba8]MPEG1/2 does not support 2997/125 fps
> > >Could not open codec.
> > >FATAL: Cannot initialize video driver.
> > >
> > >Any suggestions how to correct that
> > >
> > >Thanks for the quick reply, I do appreciate it.  I am trying to convert
> > >file for my niece and at the moment It is driving me nuts.
> > >
> > >Dan
> > >

> > there's a rounding error; try to add -fps 24000/1001 or  :vstrict=-1 (or
> > -2)
> > to -lavcopts (but not both).
>

> The -fps 24000/1001 seems to have done it.  Certainly a lot smoother.  I
> am going to let that finish now because I am very happy with the results.  I
> with try all the other suggestions later and let the list know if there are
> any differences.  But for the time being I am a happy chappy.
>
> A big thanks
>

> Just finished writing the encoded pal compliant file to dvd and the a/v
> sync becomes a problem as the disk continues.  I wonder if there is a better
> solution?

The command I used was

 mencoder -oac lavc -ovc lavc -of mpeg -mpegopts
format=dvd:tele_src=24000/1001:tele_dest=25 -vf scale=720:576 -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg2video:vrc_buf_size=1835:keyint=15:vrc_maxrate=9800:vbitrate=5000:aspect=4/3:acodec=ac3:abitrate=192
-fps 24000/1001 -o ./dvd.mpg movie.avi

any suggestions.

The thing is it looks good on the computer but not so good once on the dvd.

Dan