[MPlayer-users] Newbie DVD audio confirmation

Francois Visagie fvisagie at za.spescom.com
Fri Sep 21 10:01:06 CEST 2007

Hi All,

I'm planning my first DVD-compliant mencoder session. The DVD will have one
audio track only, which I understand needs to be one of PCM, MPEG-1 Layer 2
(MP2) or AC-3. The source audio is PCM stereo (inside a DV AVI file). PCM is
uncompressed so that won't be the final format. I understand that MP2 can be
either VBR or CBR - if I picked that, I'd probably go for CBR to avoid any
synchronisation issues.

However, I can't find much information about AC-3 characteristics in the
MPlayer documentation. Which of VBR or CBR can it do, and most crucially,
how does its quality and compressability compare to that of MP2 (in the case
of a stereo track in case that makes any difference)?

I am not averse to finger grease and plan to find the answers empirically by
experimenting, but if a kind soul could help save me some time with some
well-chosen pointers I'd be really grateful.

Thank you,
Francois

This e-mail is sent on the Spescom Terms and Conditions
that can be accessed by clicking on this link http://www.spescom.com/email.html