[MPlayer-users] can mplayer record a stream to mp3 in windows?

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Sat Sep 22 03:38:57 CEST 2007

Christopher Gokey wrote:

> Can I record a stream to mp3 using windows in one step using mplayer?
> e.g.,
>
> Some command arguments like this:
> mplayer --dump-stream --format mp3 --out_file=file.mp3 <url.rm>
>
> Is this possible with mplayer?

No. '-dumpstream' just copies the exact stream it receives, without
modifying it. This is intentional, and probably could not be changed
even if it were not.

You are not asking to dump the stream, but to transcode it. For that,
you need an encoding tool which can read from the appropriate type of
stream.

MEncoder is the encoding companion to MPlayer, but it cannot do the job
on its own, because it requires a video stream in its encoded files.

> If not, does someone know of a command line application that can do
> this in one statement?  I know it can be done with lame in 2
> statements, but I really need to do it as 1 in "windows"...

I would suggest that you look at the FFmpeg project.

http://ffmpeg.mplayerhq.hu/

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.