[MPlayer-users] mencoder: Removing black bars creates blackli ne artifacts

Francois Visagie fvisagie at za.spescom.com
Wed Sep 26 13:33:58 CEST 2007

Excellent advice - those are interlacing artifacts you're seeing. Part of
the reason you only see lack of proper deinterlacing in your cropped video
(at the same physical display size) is probably because it has less vertical
pixel resolution (due to cropping).

The latest MPlayer documentation has a wealth of information on the
principles of cropping, scaling and deinterlacing, especially in section 14.
Here's an example: "Also, deinterlacing should be done after cropping [1]
and before scaling." Remember to try out additional deinterlacing mechanisms
and options as Guillaume suggests.

As an aside, from the documentation I had understood that a proper filter
chain is constructed either with the -vf filter1,filter2,...filtern
construct, or by using -vf-{add|pre|del|clr}. I'd therefore use one of those
approaches as opposed to the -vf filter1 -vf filter2 you have above.

Regards,
Francois

This e-mail is sent on the Spescom Terms and Conditions
that can be accessed by clicking on this link http://www.spescom.com/email.html