[MPlayer-users] Mplayer License Issue

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Sep 28 17:10:15 CEST 2007

On Fri, Sep 28, 2007 at 02:37:25PM +0530, pratish ganguly wrote:
>  Dear All
>
>    I have developed a cutomized Linux distribution for commercial purpose.
> In that distribution I plan to include gmplayer (mplayer1.0rc1 to be
> specific) package in that. Can you guide me regarding what all licencing
> issues I might have to take into account in this particular case ?

We can only advise you that you need to follow the terms of the GPL,
as MPlayer is under the terms of the GPL (and no other license)
regardless of how many or how few demuxers and codecs you include.

If you're asking about patent claims, you will not get an answer here.
Some developers, myself included, regard all the multimedia patent
claims as bogus due to an abundance of prior art and obviousness as
well as fraudulent misrepresentation of having invented things that
were actually invented over 100 years ago. Whether you want to pay
"random fees" to these nasty people is your own decision and you
should make it my consulting a lawyer and analyzing your risk.

Rich