[MPlayer-users] Incomplete file behaviour

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Tue Apr 1 10:21:32 CEST 2008

On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 12:05:51AM +0200, belcampo wrote:
> Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> >> MOV/MP4
> >
> > Since MOV/MP4 _needs_ and index, one missing piece (at beginning or end)
> > can mean that the file is impossible to play, no matter which player you
> > use.
> It's a hinted MP4. I can start playing a remote-file because file-info
> is at the beginning

That doesn't change the fact that if the first part of the file is
missing it is completely unplayable. MOV/MP4 is the worst format by far to
use on a unreliable media.

> >> create I/O error
> >
> > MPlayer will stop playing if it encounters an I/O error. This could be
> > changed (by changing stream/stream_file.c the fill_buffer function to
> > e.g. return a buffer filled with all 0 when the read fails), though the
> > problem is that an I/O error is too little information, how do you know
> > which is the next part of the file that is available?
> I think/hope/believe it will be in the mp4 container

How on earth should the MP4 container know which parts of the file are
broken due to some computers being offline?? I guess whatever you're
trying to do is quite feasible, but it is not simple and I think it is
misusing distributed file systems for something they were never designed
for.