[MPlayer-users] execute external commands during media playing

Fabio Parisini parisini at quaqua.net
Wed Apr 9 10:52:42 CEST 2008

Hello everybody,

I hope this is the right place to ask you such a thing.

My problem is the following; I have got a media, which could be an audio
or a video one, and I'd like to be able to run external commands when a
precise point in the media is reached. For example, I've an audio record
of my holidays and I want to open an image viewer with a photo of my
travel when such place is mentioned in the record; let's say, at 2 min
and 26 seconds.

I'm not thinking of a real time system, but it would be enough to bind
the command execution to the media flow. I think something like that
happens with subtitles, isn't it? Is there a way to use something like
the subtitle system to do such things? Is there an ad-hoc tool in
mplayer, or in other player that you know?

Please, tell me something about it. I'm sorry if this isn't the right
mailing list; if it's not, please tell me where to ask.

Thank you,

Fabio