[MPlayer-users] mplayer on Solaris 10 x86 ?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Thu Apr 10 15:20:35 CEST 2008

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 09:05:02AM -0400, Robert Bradbury wrote:
> On 2/23/08, Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de>
> wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 12:53:11PM -0600, Shane Ludwig wrote:
> >
> > > cabac.h:525: error: can't find a register in class `GENERAL_REGS' while
> > > reloading `asm'
> > >
> > > error when attempting to compile MPlayer-1.0rc2 on my Sun Ultra 20
> > running
> > > Solaris 10 x86 with gcc 3.4.3.
>
> Interesting, I'm getting the same problem at line 529,  in cabac.h, i.e.
> cabac.h:529:error: can't find a register in class 'GENERAL_REGS' while
> reloading 'asm'.
> and this is in gcc 4.2.3 under Gentoo 2.6.23.

You can not use the default gentoo-hardened compiler or any compiler
that uses PIC or PIE. Also, custom CFLAGS are not support, and that for
a good reason.

> Is there any easy way to disable all the (asm) optimizations?

--target=generic-linux

> I'd like the current release to work before I deal with it working well!
> It also sounds like, if the mplayer people are going to continue or increase
> their use of asm() code, they ought to form a better relationship with the
> GCC developers to make sure said asm() code actually works on the register
> constrained machines such as the x86.

It does not include MPlayer-only code, but since this concerns code in
FFmpeg so far, this:
http://fate.multimedia.cx/
shows that a clear majority of compilers works just fine (ICC
compilation is broken due to some other reason currently).

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger