[MPlayer-users] Playing QHD (3840x2160) material with mplayer

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Fri Apr 11 00:42:01 CEST 2008

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 12:26:51AM +0200, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> On Friday, 11 April 2008 at 00:01, Dean S. Messing wrote:
> > I am trying to play uncompressed rgb QHD material with mplayer.  After
> > modifying transcode to handle QHD, I was able to generate an .avi from
> > the .png frames of the video.  I can play them with mplayer using
> > "-vo x11" but only at about 14fps.  I need to play at 24fps.
> >
> > When I use the xv output driver, I get the Transcript below.  Is it
> > straightforward to increase the accepted dimensions of the xv output
> > driver in the mplayer source code?
>
> It's not a limitation of MPlayer. It's a limitation of the driver for your
> graphics card or even a limitation of the card itself (video overlay size).
>
> You could try using -vo gl:yuv=X with various X values or -vo xvidix (see
> man mplayer), but there are other limiting factors as well.

At this resolution, I think at best some really new cards will be able
to handle it via -vo gl, probably only -vo gl2 will work. And it
certainly should not be that much faster that x11.

> talking 4.7Gbps (570MB/s) of data here. A decent PCIe 2.0 card can handle
> that (even with one lane), but the limiting factor is the storage. So
> unless you're playing from a RAM disk or a 10Gb network (even an SSD drive
> is too slow), you won't be able to play it in real time. And I'm not
> counting the decoding time here.

AFAICT the source is uncompressed, which is likely much, much slower
than some simple compression, esp. if it is a multicore CPU and a codec
with good multithreading support. MPEG-2 can also be decoded on the
graphics card with xvmc, which decreases the bandwidth, though I have
some doubts it will work well at that resolution.