[MPlayer-users] Dumping both stream and subtitles from DVD

jingzhao.ou jingzhao.ou at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 01:29:37 CEST 2008

Hi, all,

I am new to Mplayer. I want to dump both the stream and subtitles from
a DVD to harddrive. I did the following:

mplayer -slang en -alang en -dumpstream -dumpfile temp.vob dvd://1

When I played back the resulting temp.vob, no subtitles are found. I
tried "-dumpsub" with the following

mplayer -slang en -alang en -dumpsub -dumpstream -dumpfile temp.vob dvd://1

But I got an empty dump file along with the oringal temp.vob file.

All I want to do is to dump the original stream from my DVD to my
harddrive. That way, it is much faster and easier when I compress the
file using two-pass encoding from my harddrive. I want subtitles to
show up on my video and don't mind if the subtitles are encoded into
the video stream. I always have subtitles showing when watching
videos.

Any one can help me out? What is the right command lines I should use?

Thanks a lot!

Jingzhao