[MPlayer-users] Tearing and VSync [WAS: Re: Mplayer picture question]

Martin Emrich emme at emmes-world.de
Mon Apr 21 08:49:32 CEST 2008

Hi!

Corey Hickey schrieb:

> That looks like tearing.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Page_tearing
> http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=928593
> http://www.virtualdub.org/blog/pivot/entry.php?id=74
>
> Generally, this happens when using "-vo x11". Try using "-vo xv" or "-vo
> gl", both of which should/may support vsync.

I actually have the same problem here (-vo xv, nVidia GF2 MX or GF3,
connected via TV-Out to a PAL TV set). AFAIK, usually any playback
device forces its own refresh rate (synced to the content being played)
onto the TV set, which in turn syncs itself onto the presented refresh
rate (in a very low margin, e.g. 47-53 Hz for a PAL TV).

I am quite sure that this is not possible with an nvidia graphics card
(correct me if I am wrong), but what is the best recommended hardware
for tearing- and artefact-free mplayer/ffmpeg output to a TV set (analog
Composite video or soon via DVI/HDMI)?

Or how do I enable VSync on X.Org (the player PC is fast enough, and
skipping/repeating one frame every few seconds to resyncronize would be
quite less annoying for me than the constant tearing)?

Thanks!

Martin