[MPlayer-users] Soundcard selection with alsa

rural remi.malatray at free.fr
Mon Apr 28 23:07:11 CEST 2008

Jan Knutar wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 April 2008 23:22, rural wrote:
>

>> "alsa5:device=hw=1.0", else say "alsa1x:device=hw=1.0" and, at last
>> "alsa:device=hw=1.0".
>> None of them work. I suppose taking a look at the source code could
>> lead to the answer, but where...
>>

> -ao alsa=device
>
> where device is, according to the man page:
> ---
> device=<device>
> Sets the device name.  Replace any ’,’ with ’.’ and any ’:’ with ’=’ in
> the ALSA device name.  For hwac3 output via S/PDIF, use an "iec958" or
> "spdif" device, unless you really know how to set it correctly.
> ---
>
> So -ao alsa=hw=1.0 would be the right format...
>
> Check if anything else is using that device, check /proc/asound/pcm if
> such a device actually exists... Though if it doesn't exist I think
> you'd get this kind of error:
>
> [AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: pcm_hw.c:1351:(_snd_pcm_hw_open) Invalid value for
> card
> [AO_ALSA] Playback open error: No such device
> Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound.
>
> Trying to open a capture-only device:
>
> [AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: pcm_hw.c:1242:(snd_pcm_hw_open)
> open /dev/snd/pcmC0D1p failed: No such file or directory
> [AO_ALSA] Playback open error: No such file or directory
> Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound.
>
> Trying to open a busy device:
>
> [AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: pcm_hw.c:1242:(snd_pcm_hw_open)
> open /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p failed: Device or resource busy
> [AO_ALSA] Playback open error: Device or resource busy
> Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound.
Hi Jan,

I've tried so many things since your last post and was also fighting
with nvidia modules, lirc and a RF remote and, finally, a Xunbuntu
upgrade from 7.10 to 8.04.

Surprisingly, I got mplayer sound on the right soundcard with the
following synthax :

                         -ao alsa:device=hw=1.0

a formula I've already tried before.
Please note that the word "device" seems mandatory. The short expression
"-ao alsa=hw=1.0" doesn't work.
I wander if it's not a matter of "busy ressource" or some other obscure
thing.
I also had the fullscreen function working !

What a day...

There are so many things which will eternally remain a deep mistery to
me with Linux...

Thanks for your help Jan !

PS : do you have any good working crystal ball for sale ? I urgently
need one.