[MPlayer-users] Mplayer Sound problems

Valentine Sondoyi valley24 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 16:17:55 CEST 2008

Hi all,

mine is an IBM laptop R40. I am running solaris 10 3/05. I have just
installed mplayer using the blastwave.org package. I have a number of issues
that I think someone here might help me with.

1. Mplayer installed to the /op/csw/bin/  as gmplayer
2. Even after restarting I cant get it to the applications menu (am using
the java desktop).
3. When I play an mp3, it produces an error message as below

[AO OSS]audio_setup: Cant open audio device /dev/dsp: No such file or
directory.

The sound does come out but its not clear and actually very uncomfortable to
listen to. My audio device is (from sun device detection tool)
82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller, driver
audio810.

4. The avi video files are ok though mpg files are producing the following
error:
iconv: conversion from UTF-8 to 646 unsupported834  6%  6% 57.4% 143

Please help me resolve these problems.

Thanks in advance,
skaval