[MPlayer-users] Significant audio delay on an avi file with blank audio

Sébastien Mazy melyadon at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 22:52:49 CEST 2008

Thanks for your answer!

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 10:04 PM, The Wanderer
<inverseparadox at comcast.net> wrote:
> Have you tested what happens with the -delay option?

mplayer -delay -14 blank_audio_delay.avi

resulted in:
- image lag during a few seconds + "Your system is too SLOW to play
this!" message on stdout (which is not the case, my CPU is enough for
a low-def divx)
- the sound starting immediately, the video starting at 14s (though a
negative value for -delay is supposed to delay the sound according to
the man)

> What happens if you start playing with the -ss option and then try to
> seek back to before the sound began? Does it get out of sync, play video
> without audio (and remain in sync), or refuse to seek back that far?

It goes out of sync, just as if I had started playing the file from
the beginning. Mplayer skips the blank audio whenever you start
playing before the assumed start of the sound at 14 seconds.

Mplayer is not consistent with seeking with this video. If you seek
before 14s (the approximate start of the non blank audio), the sound
will always be 14s too early. If you seek after 14s, it will always be
synchronized.

It seems one can upload files on ftp://upload.mplayerhq.hu/ but not
download them after. If you want to test the video I've uploaded
again:
http://dl.free.fr/pPpCUreUq

That may also be a bug in the video, but VLC and totem (gstreamer
backend) play that file fine.

Cheers,
--
Sébastien Mazy