[MPlayer-users] 2 questions

Phil Rhodes phil_rhodes at rocketmail.com
Mon Aug 25 02:18:13 CEST 2008

The version of mplayer that comes on the eee-pc is horribly crippled - won't
play back h.264, although you need to be conservative with what you ask that
hardware to decode anyway.

I presume it's some sort of licensing restriction. Unfortunately, the eee
also suffers from the standard Linux issue that what's in the default
available-software list is basically what's already installed. This means
that getting a full-bore mplayer going is, by Windows standards, a rather
painful experience involving much swearing and cursing, following obscure
partially-complete online guides, being told ur a n00b lus3r in IRC
channels, hacking at obscure text files, and in our case doing the
factory-reset thing several times.

We did eventually get it to go but I have no memory of how and nothing
approaching a note on the subject. The only advice I can give you is this:
absolutely never, ever, under any circumstances, no matter what anyone tells
you, should you type "apt-get upgrade."