[MPlayer-users] problems with DPMS after using mplayer

sbenni at gmx.de sbenni at gmx.de
Wed Aug 27 16:52:04 CEST 2008

Hello list,

if I watch a movie with mplayer it correctly disables DPMS and my screensaver, but after mplayer has been closed the monitor keeps on until I force the monitor to standby with xset dpms force standby.

I have made some tests and it seems that it only happens if mplayer is running longer than the off time which has been set with xset dpms 120 180 240. For example with this values if mplayer is closed after 240 seconds DPMS does not work anymore although it has been reenabled by mplayer, I have checked that with xset q. First I have thought the X server has to reset it's input activity timestamps only and thus moved the mouse but it didn't help.

Some additional information:
- distribution: debian etch (amd64) on my pc and debian etch (i386) on my laptop
- version: mplayer  1.0-rc1svn20070225-0.3etch1 from "deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org stable main"
- window manager: xfce and fluxbox
- screensaver: xscreensaver, killing the screensaver also could not solve the problem

with kindest regards

Benjamin