[MPlayer-users] Performance codec

casty at centolos.com casty at centolos.com
Thu Aug 28 13:51:25 CEST 2008

Hi all,

I need to reproduce full frame rate video and audio @ 320x200 on a Pentium
133 MMX with no-way accelerated SiS videoCard. I would like to know what
is the best codec to do so.

I'm actually using MPEG1 400kbps these are my encoding and decoding params.

mencoder -vf scale=320:200 %1 -o mp1-320-400.avi -of avi -ovc lavc -oac
lavc -af volume=10,volnorm -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg1video:vbitrate=400:abitrate=64 -frames 5000

mplayer -ao oss -vo fbdev -really-quiet -vfm ffmep -nodouble -lavdopts
skipframe=nonref skiploopfilter=all mp1-320-400.avi -framedrop -cache 8192

I'm loosing frames on intensive action or camera travelling scenes. I also
would like to know if there is some kind of pre-buffer option to smooth
those scenes. The cache param is because the video has to be reproduced
through network (NFS).

Regards!