[MPlayer-users] Quicktime playback on MPlayer/Linux -- Somevideos play in ultra-slow-motion?

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Sun Aug 31 22:38:22 CEST 2008

Phil Rhodes wrote:

>> Not only don't I know that, I don't even know what that means :-(
>
> It means they've written custom modifications to the code. This is
> almost always necessary regardless of platform because the single
> biggest problem Linux has is consistency and standardisation, but
> it's even more necessary on Windows or MacOS because they differ more
> significantly.
>
> The problem with the "compile from SVN" approach is that it exposes
> you to all these issues directly. You will probably be glibly told to
> "type .configure && make && make install" which will, under
> theoretically perfect circumstances, compile a working mplayer
> executable. Unfortunately, circumstances that perfect do not exist in
> anything other than fringe cases even on Linux and you will end up
> applying patches and/or hacking the C code directly.

Nonsense.

MPlayer compiled and worked perfectly with no more than that (allowing
for 'su' to gain root privileges for the install step) for me from the
very beginning. The only times it hasn't have been when the SVN tree has
been broken, which is a rare state at least for "mainstream" Linux
(though perhaps more common in other *nix variants and on other OSes).
Even installing a variety of other libraries for additional features -
DVD support, for example - just made the process a little more
complicated; I have never needed to patch MPlayer to be able to compile
it and have it run.

If you are going to claim that circumstances under which that set of
steps don't work are the rule rather than the exception, please provide
evidence to back that up.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.