[MPlayer-users] Quicktime playback on MPlayer/Linux -- Somevideos play in ultra-slow-motion?

Phil Rhodes phil_rhodes at rocketmail.com
Sun Aug 31 23:15:32 CEST 2008

> MPlayer compiled and worked perfectly with no more than that (allowing
> for 'su' to gain root privileges for the install step) for me from the
> very beginning.

Probably because you take care to ensure that your environment is
practically bit-identical with the developers. For those of us for whom
computers are a means rather than an end, this is not practical, nor is it
reasonable to expect it to be. I suspect your definition of "worked
perfectly" is a bit more flexible than mine; if I have to hack strange
values into obscure text files, manually unpack library source into various
directories, add repositories, obtain files, deploy them by hand - I
consider that "not working perfectly". You may consider it all in a day's
work but you cannot realistically deny that those sorts of tasks are an
inevitable part of more or less every software deployment on Linux and they
are emphatically NOT simple.

Evidence? I could list software and environments I've tried to do this on,
and I'll tell you how that discussion would go. First off, you'd pick on the
more obscure pieces of software, saying things like: "oh, that's just not
very well written, I know the guys who work on that, they're all idiots."
Then you'd blame the distro I was using - "oh, that's just not a very good
distro, it doesn't include X, Y and Z." Then, assuming I had the patience to
humour you and install another, you'd have reasons that wasn't any good
either - "it doesn't include A, B and C? What a waste of space!" Then we'd
move on to ad hominem attacks on me personally, blaming my technical
expertise, and finally, we'd get around to "oh, well, Linux isn't for
everybody", which is of course the point I've been trying to make all along.
I have had this series of discussions so many times with so many people it's
moved through irritating and infurating to just being boring. There is no
interest in solving these problems because according to the people who could
solve them, they do not exist. You guys really do have an excuse for
everything.

The sad fact is that software deployment on Linux is a sick joke, a complete
farce, a barely-alpha-quality disaster zone, and it will remain so whether
you choose to accept it or not.

Look, I'm not blaming you guys, it's a general Linux problem, and the reason
I avoid the platform - but again, claiming these issues do not exist does
not make them go away.