[MPlayer-users] Mplayer resets v4l2 webcam settings

Kovacs Peter Tamas p.kovacs at holografika.com
Mon Dec 1 17:58:34 CET 2008

Dear All,

I'm trying to display / capture the video stream coming from my Logitech
Quickam pro for notebooks (via v4l2, using latest uvcvideo kernel
module, latest libwebcam and mplayer/mencoder all from SVN), my webcam
settings (brightess, contrast, autofocus, gain, etc) are all reset.

If I set webcam params using uvcdynctrl
(http://www.quickcamteam.net/software/libwebcam), then start
mplayer/mencoder, it starts capturing with default webcam settings.
If I start capturing, and then set the params during the capture with
uvcdynctrl, I can see them changing, but then it's too late.

How can I ask mplayer to keep the settings as they are? Alternatively,
how can I pass webcam params on the command line to mplayer so that it
sets the requested params before starting to capture?

Thanks for your help,
Peter