[MPlayer-users] SIGCONT causes fast-forward effect

Pete Nesbitt pete at linux1.ca
Sun Dec 7 20:29:41 CET 2008

On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 13:44:20 -0500
The Wanderer <inverseparadox at comcast.net> wrote:

> Reimar Döffinger wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Dec 07, 2008 at 12:47:34PM -0500, The Wanderer wrote:
> >
> >> Did you try redirecting stdin from a FIFO (instead of from
> >> /dev/null), and then writing slave-mode commands to that FIFO?
> >
> > Uh, that is what -input file=... is there for.
>
> Huh. I did remember there being an option for that, but when I looked
> at the man page the '-input' option seemed to be for something
> completely unrelated, so I assumed I'd been remembering wrong. Not
> sure what went on there...

This is my first use of FIFO and it seems pretty straight forward
(and should let me clean up a lot of my functions/code). I have it
functioning at the cli but when I start the player (with the same cmd)
from within the script, a write to the fifo file just hangs and does not
return. This happens writting to it via script or at cli. Strange.

I'm using this in both cli and script, with $TRACK being the path to
the flac audio file.

mplayer -slave -input file=/data/cm_temp/mplayer_cmds_fifo -quiet
${TRACK} &> /dev/null

echo pause > /data/cm_temp/mplayer_cmds_fifo

Anyway, I really like the FIFO idea, and will work on finding why the
script-started mplayer is not letting anything write to the fifo.

Any ideas are welcome :)

Thanks everyone.
Pete