[MPlayer-users] Problems with Mplayer

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 04:35:30 CET 2008

Turns out that even though the config file is setting vo to xv,
mplayer uses x11 driver.
In fact I tried all drivers listed by the command
mplayer -vo help, except x11, as the driver to use in the config file.
Mplayer seems to completely ignore the config file setting and uses x11
driver (which works).

But if I invoke gnome-mplayer, then the setting in the config file seems
to take effect.
Thus, with config file set to xv, mplayer ignores it, whereas
gnome-mplayer extracts it and explicitly passes it as an argument to
mplayer. This is similar to the behaviour of explicitly specifying -vo
xv on the command line (i.e. no video is played).

I will have to build latest mplayer from source.

Cheers,

JD