[MPlayer-users] Extract AAC from video file?

Jon Drukman jdrukman at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 01:24:00 CET 2008

Krzysztof Duchnowski wrote:
> Jon Drukman pisze:
>
>> Is there way using mplayer -dumpaudio or mencoder -ovc copy to get an
>> AAC stream out of a .m4v file?  I need it in either .aac stream format
>> or a .mp4 container, with no video, but I can't figure out how to do it.
>>   I guess dumpaudio gives a raw stream with no header or container?
>

> Either you have file with wrong extension or you try to dump audio
> stream from single video elementar stream... I wonder which it is.

i'm not sure what you're saying.  the video file contains an aac audio
stream:

% midentify 7085_13_1229065288.m4v
ID_VIDEO_ID=0
ID_AUDIO_ID=1
ID_FILENAME=7085_13_1229065288.m4v
ID_DEMUXER=lavfpref
ID_VIDEO_FORMAT=avc1
ID_VIDEO_BITRATE=0
ID_VIDEO_WIDTH=960
ID_VIDEO_HEIGHT=540
ID_VIDEO_FPS=29.970
ID_VIDEO_ASPECT=0.0000
ID_AUDIO_FORMAT=255
ID_AUDIO_BITRATE=0
ID_AUDIO_RATE=44100
ID_AUDIO_NCH=2
ID_LENGTH=157.48
ID_SEEKABLE=1
ID_CHAPTERS=0
ID_VIDEO_CODEC=ffh264
ID_AUDIO_BITRATE=128000
ID_AUDIO_RATE=44100
ID_AUDIO_NCH=2
ID_AUDIO_CODEC=faad

I want to get that stream in either an MPEG transport stream or an .mp4
file so I can remux it with a different video stream using MP4Box.

  mplayer -dumpaudio -dumpfile 7085.dump 7085_13_1229065288.m4v

Gives me a file with no recognizable container.

I tried mencoder with -oac copy but I couldn't get anything but an .avi
file.

-jsd-