[MPlayer-users] MacOSX, Mplayer failing to render truetype fonts.

Alexander Wehr plasmacutter at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 14:41:28 CET 2008

I've been having a persistent problem, and have decided to write in after
this persisted through a system upgrade.
I've been building mplayer from SVN, and have freetype and fontconfig
installed and up to date. To make sure, I searched through the config log
and found it had properly detected them.

I'm using these lines in the config, and they're not throwing an "unknown
setting" error which DID occur when I built mplayer before updating freetype
and fontconfig:

subfont-text-scale=10
subfont-autoscale=2
subfont-text-scale=5
subfont-blur=1.1
subfont-outline=1.2
subalign=2
subfont-encoding=unicode

Yet, I open any soft-subbed matroska file (fansubs) only to find the subfont
is reverting to the teenie-weenie default text.

This is highly unusual, as I have a secondary system which properly renders
the text, and I don't follow a different procedure in my installation
process.  Is it possible I screwed up a setting somewhere in the main
system?

As I said before, I recently upgraded my system from an old PPC tower to a
macbook pro, and used the system migration tool to transfer the files.
 Obviously whatever is causing this mess was transferred with it, as the
problem from the old system is persisting here, but I went through and
rebuilt/installed freetype, fontconfig, and various other related
dependencies and received no errors from mplayer on compile.

Anyway, if I could get some help diagnosing this cryptic issue it would be
great. I hopefully await someone's input on this.

-Al