[MPlayer-users] oes Mplayer do analog or only digital channels?

RC cooleyr at gmail.com
Sat Dec 27 19:56:34 CET 2008

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 03:57:38 -0500
daryl <sofasurferlinux at charter.net> wrote:

> My question is... How do I scan for analog channels

You don't.  Analog channels don't have sub-channels, embedded data
services, PIDs and such that NEED to be scanned-for and properly
detected before you can watch them...

Just look through the docs for "mplayer tv://" to find out how to use it
to display analog TV signals.  Best to start at channel 2, and use the
h/j keys to go channel up/down and just manually note which channels you
get, and which you don't.

> I forgot to mention that I am using a Hauppauge HVR 1600 tuner card.
> It  has digital and analog inputs. Does this help?

Not to me.  You can certainly look up whether Linux has support for
analog tuning with that card, if you were so inclined, but I doubt
anyone here will do it for you.  This isn't the Linux kernel support
list after all.  But I will offer a small tip:  To find out whether
analg TV support is currently enabled on your system, just look in /dev
for entries like /dev/vid* or perhaps /dev/v4l*.  If they exist, you can
very likely use your card to tune analog TV.  Not that it matters much,
since analog is being shut-off most everywhere in just 2 month's time.

--
Don't trust me! I'm wrong!