[MPlayer-users] MPlayer playing video really fast

aeiiyoup aeiiyoup at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 17:04:54 CET 2008

On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 11:50:45 pm Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Sun, Feb 03, 2008 at 11:18:22PM +1030, aeiiyoup wrote:
> > The videos that cause MPlayer this grief can be found at: (Note it's
> > softcore pr0n).
> >
> > Length: 2,639,444 (2.5M) http://andi-pink.com/videos/ironingteaser.avi
> > Length: 2,816,342 (2.7M) http://andi-pink.com/videos/milkteaser.avi
> > Length: 2,823,600 (2.7M) http://andi-pink.com/videos/popcornteaser.avi
> > Length: 2,679,662 (2.6M) http://andi-pink.com/videos/orangeteaser.avi
>
> These use a misfeature called "packed bitstream". MPlayer does not
> support that and probably never will (luckily it is very, very raw).
> E.g. avidemux can remove that feature quickly, losslessly and often
> decreasing the file size as well.
>
> Greetings,
> Reimar Döffinger

When I unpacked the above file of 2.5MB (2,639,444 bytes) I found it was
reduced to 2.4MB (2,526,156 bytes). I'm expecting in larger files it could
end up being quite a bit more.

I did a bit of research in google and found that packed bitstream can be bad
for DivX certified DVD players, causing jerky playback, probably something
like MPlayer does when playing back those files as it's unsupported.

I did read on a forum that packed bitstream means no frame lag and easier
seeking for VfW (Video for Windows). Apparently it was created as a hack for
encoding/decoding b frames via VfW.

It sounds like one of those things which was designed to fix a problem, and
ended up becoming a messy feature of AVI which created more problems.
Probably why it seems rare nowdays. (I've been using MPlayer for ages and
this is the first file I've ever come across to use it.)

http://forum.digital-digest.com/showpost.php?p=410328&postcount=4
http://itsjustonesandzeros.blogspot.com/2007/01/what-is-packed-bitstream.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_for_Windows

-Aeiiyoup