[MPlayer-users] Dropping x264 into an MP4 Container

Ivan Kowalenko kichigaimentat at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 08:17:01 CET 2008

On Feb 5, 2008, at 00.59, Troy Perkins wrote:

> I can't say much on x264 and/or h264 due to lack of experience with
> it. However, I can tell you that I've had great success with xvid in
> an avi container preserving the AC3 DD 5.1 with copy.  Flawless
> playback on xbox 360 via WMP 11, even the navigation works great.

The thing is I'm working with 100% non-Microsoft tools and hardware
(exception being the XBox and XBox 360). I'm aware of the first party
support for XviD and AC3 in an AVI container, but the sad fact is that
my system is rather old, and unless I could hijack one or two cores
out of the 360 for transcoding duty, I'd likely be at this for weeks.
Thanks for the advice, though.

P.S. Before you consider mentioning using VLC to do a real-time
transcode, I ought to forewarn you that my 1 GHz PPC doesn't have
enough pull to decode these videos in real-time, let alone encode to
XviD in real-time. Just trying to let you know what options I'm aware
of and have explored.