[MPlayer-users] Identifying Surround Sound with MPlayer

Gary C. New garycnew at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 10 00:17:35 CET 2008

--- "Gary C. New" <garycnew at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Is it possible to identify surround sound with
> mplayer?  I am able to identify what audio codec is
> used with a given a/v file through ID_AUDIO_CODEC,
> but
> it does not specify how many channels are used.  Do
> all a52 encoded files use all 6 channels or do they
> have the option of using the minimum 2 channels?
>
> Thank you for your assistance.
>
> Respectfully,
>

> Gary

Haven't heard from anyone regarding this topic.  Is
this the the wrong forum for this question?  I've been
using the mplayer -identify option to access many of
the a/v file's ID_ meta data, but I was hoping to get
some clarification about identifying surround sound or
the number of channels actually used in a given a/v
file with this method or some other way.  The audio
channels seem to report only two channels by default.

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,

Gary