[MPlayer-users] mplayer plays too fast after resuming from pause

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Sun Feb 10 02:03:30 CET 2008

w cy wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using the latest build.

Many people have different ideas about what constitutes "the latest
build", and quite a few of them have it wrong. The correct latest build
is a version which you compile yourself from up-to-the-minute source
code acquired via SVN. Which one are you using? (MPlayer should report
it at the beginning of playing any file.)

> And this is reproducible for all the video files: pause the play,
> then resume it, the playback would be so fast for a second it feels
> like a fast-forward. it only lasts for a second or so then it would
> become normal speed again. Do you have a similar problem? How to fix
> it?

That sounds like something I've seen which is a consequence of the A/V
resyncing code. With at least some AO methods, sound is sent to be
output in fairly sizable chunks, and once it's been sent MPlayer has no
ability to take it back; hen you pause, almost invariably more audio has
been sent than video has been played, and the remaining audio in the
output buffer gets played back before the pause fully takes effect. When
you unpause, MPlayer notices that more audio than video has been played,
so it plays the video (but not the audio) faster until they are back in
sync.

Aside from trying various AO methods (I know for a fact that this
happens, or used to happen, with -ao sdl) or using flags like -noskip
and -mc 0 (which may "fix" the problem, but with the side effect of not
regaining lost A/V sync at all), I don't have any suggestions about how
to avoid this.

Personally, I only ever noticed this when I was trying to do
frame-by-frame playback, pausing on consecutive frames - and when doing
that, there is no real need for the audio anyway.

--
    The Wanderer

    My usual .sig is on vacation while I adjust to my new computer