[MPlayer-users] [OT] Creating a slide show

cga2000 cga2000 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 04:21:33 CET 2008

On Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 05:36:27PM EST, Robert Nichols wrote:
> cga2000 wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 11:23:41AM EST, RC wrote:

> >> If you don't care about exact timing, you can use mencoder with  mf://
> >> and -audiofile
> >
> > Thanks, much appreciated.
> >
> > Problem I have is that with just two jpegs the resulting .avi is so
> > short that the sound track does not even get a chance to start playing!
> >
> > :-)
> >
> > For the record I typed the following at the prompt:
> >
> > $ mencoder "mf://*.jpg" -mf fps=2 -audiofile test.wav -oac copy -ovc
> >   raw -o test.avi
> >
> > Also tried with fps=0 just in case .. but it just hangs.
>
> Sure, "fps=0" means "display each frame for an infinite time."
>
> What you probably want is more like "fps=0.1".  You'll also want to
> add a blank slide at the end.  The player will quit immediately after
> displaying the last slide (i.e., without waiting 1/fps seconds).

I specified "fps=0.01" and somehow the resulting .avi plays the entire
track and exits immediately afterwards.

Exactly what I wanted in the first place!

How do I add a "blank slide"?

Also the mplayer window displays some green and gray diagonal stripes,
not the original jpeg.

Am I using the wrong -ovc?

And also, when using mplayer to play video, I normally use "-vo xv" and
I usually hit the 'f' key to have mplayer's window resized to full
screen, but in this particular case it does not work as I hoped: the
window is resized to full screen but the actual pic remains the same
size.

Since the mplayer list supports mencoder as well, it's beginning to look
like this thread is no longer [OT], am I correct?