[MPlayer-users] mock drivers

Michel Bardiaux mbardiaux at mediaxim.be
Fri Feb 15 10:54:09 CET 2008

Carl Karsten wrote:
> Are there any v4l or sound drivers that don't actually talk to real hardware,
> but just return a constant?  like a tone, or a test pattern, but using the v4l api?
>
> I am trying to work with a closed source v4l driver (I am happy they know how to
> spell linux) and it would be handy if I could swap theres with something simple
> that will work on any system, so isn't dependent on any hardware.  I am trying
> to mix in sound, which some how seems to be causing problems with the video.
> there is always the chance that I am just screwing up the parameters, but even
> that would be straightened out if I knew that my sources were reliable.

For video, there is the vloopback device, see
http://www.lavrsen.dk/twiki/bin/view/Motion/VideoFourLinuxLoopbackDevice
I have used it, and it works; though I *think* it is dependent on the
feeder program for proper timing.

> For sound right now I am playing sound.wav in a loop on box A, with a patch from
> A's out to B's in, and recording from B's /dev/dsp.  for some reason xmms
> decided it had looped enough, and who knows how much time I burned up wondering
> why my recordings weren't recording any more.

The only thing I found is the snd-aloop device, but I havent tried it
yet (Im working with our own apps, not mplayer, and we have only OSS
support now).

Greetings,
--
Michel Bardiaux