[MPlayer-users] Test this patch for MPEG-TS over network/dvb streams

Nico Sabbi Nicola.Sabbi at poste.it
Sat Feb 16 02:13:04 CET 2008

Hi,
this patch should finally make mplayer play stably and in the long run non-local
mpegts streams such as DVB and network ones; in the past those playing streams lead to a lot
of video freezes and messages like "too many packate in the buffer".
What this patch does is very simple: avoid to decode demuxed packets
until the right PCR time has been inserted in the stream.
I should use the DTS instead of the PTS to do the time validation, but since they are
always very close and since the relation
pcr < dts <= pts
always applies, the pts serves the purpose well enough.

In practice, this patch prevents mplayer from starving data. If you are interested
in the details of this issue read the "nut broadcast" thread in nut-devel at mplayerhq.hu.

Don't forget to add the pmt pid in the stream, or the pcr can't be identified.

Please, let me know if you experience improvements and/or regressions, and
especially let mplayer run on the same channel for some hour before reporting
success.

Nico